Certificate in Public Health
Our online Graduate Certificate in Public Health offers professional expertise in a convenient, flexible format.
In the Public Health Practice MPH and Graduate Certificate in Public Health programs, you will gain applied knowledge that enhances your ability to engage stakeholders, identify community needs, gather data, design and implement programs and policies, lead organizations, and collaborate across disciplines.
The Public Health Practice MPH and Graduate Certificate in Public Health programs are ideal for:
- Professionals with full-time careers, including doctors, nurses, social workers, educators, nonprofit personnel, government officials, hospital administrators, and others whose work involves advancing the public’s health.
- Full-time students living in or near metropolitan Portland or those who live outside the Portland metropolitan area, especially those in rural areas of the Pacific Northwest.
- Graduate students in other fields (including medicine, law, and social work) who seek to add a public health lens to their work, through a graduate certificate in public health.
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH) offers a fully online MPH in Public Health Practice, a hybrid online/on-campus MPH that you can complete in one year, and an online Graduate Certificate in Public Health. All three programs enable you to:
- Serve populations that bear a disproportionate share of society’s health risks.
- Connect and collaborate with various kinds of public health professionals, including (but not limited to) researchers, policy makers, program evaluators, health care practitioners, hospital and clinic administrators, and community advocates.
- Use a dynamic online course platform that promotes strong relationships and extensive interaction among students and faculty.
- Get personal, one-on-one attention from your instructors.
In addition, both the online and hybrid version of the MPH degree confer practical skills such as grant writing, program design and evaluation, data analysis, and public health research. .
Graduate Certificate in Public Health (fully online)
The OHSU-PSU SPH’s online Public Health Certificate program caters to professionals already working in public health and related fields, including medicine, social work, public administration, and social services. You will develop academic grounding in statistical methods, epidemiology, environmental and occupational health, and health care delivery. The Graduate Certificate in Public Health is designed to be completed in one year.
Accreditations and Rankings
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Please refer to the Program Guide for an overview of program requirements and a current program of study.
Students graduating from this program will be able to:
- Use principles of statistical inference for critical reading and interpretation of reports of statistical analysis and of public health problems;
- Apply epidemiologic methods to identify patterns of disease and injury;
- Analyze the environmental and occupational impacts on the health of a population;
- Identify and analyze major issues in health services and systems associated with the delivery, quality and costs of health care;
- Communicate theoretical principles, constructs, and models used to understand and affect the behavioral aspects of health.