Course Descriptions, Schedules, and Locations
- Course descriptions, a year-long planning schedule, and integrated SPH course schedules (by academic term) are posted to the SPH website on the graduate Course Directory page.
- Time, day, and location details for all PSU-hosted SPH and non-SPH courses are published in PSU’s Searchable Course Schedule. School of Public Health courses are listed under the following subjects: Biostatistics (BSTA); Epidemiology (EPI); Public Health Behavior (PHE); and Health Systems Mgmnt & Policy (HMP).
- Time, day, and location details for all SPH courses, as well as for OHSU non-SPH courses, are published in OHSU’s Searchable Course Schedule. School of Public Health courses are listed under the following subjects: Biostatistics (BSTA); Community and Public Health (CPH); Environmental Syst Human Health (ESHH); Epidemiology (EPI); PSU: Health Behavior (PHE); and PSU: Hlth Systm Mngmnt & Policy (HMP).
Class locations are subject to change. Be sure to double-check class location on the first day of class.
When to Register
Registration typically opens about eight weeks prior to the beginning of the coming term. Registration for the fall term (continuing students only) opens much earlier, in mid-May. Newly admitted student register for the fall term in June. Specific registration dates are listed on the SPH academic calendar. Students are encouraged to register promptly, both to ensure best course availability, and to avoid delays in financial aid disbursement.
How to Register
- The following SPH students register via PSU’s Banweb: MPH/MSW and MPH/MURP dual degree students; MA/MS Health Studies students; MPH Health Management & Policy and MPH Health Promotion students who started prior to Fall 2016; and PhD Community Health and PhD Health Systems & Policy students who started prior to Fall 2017.
- All other SPH students register via OHSU’s Student Information System (SISweb).
- See Enrollment Services for more information.
Certain courses, including most courses offered outside the School of Public Health, must be requested via special registration. Students cannot register for these courses on their own. Courses requiring special registration vary by course type and by where students register; see the SPH Registration Guide. Because special registration is a manual process, students must submit special registration requests at least four weeks prior to the beginning of the term.
Special Registration Process
- Enter complete course information into the Registration Request form, available here.
- Obtain approval signatures, if required – refer to the SPH Registration Guide. Electronic signatures are preferred.
- Submit form as an attachment to SPHregistration@ohsu.edu, using subject line “Registration Request: [Course Name], [Student Name].” Requests are accepted during the special registration period only, typically from 4-8 weeks before the first day of the term.
- Students will receive confirmation that their request has been received.
- Submitting a request does not guarantee enrollment. If the request is approved, students either will be registered for the course by staff, or will receive instructions on how to complete registration.
Signature Restricted Courses
Students cannot register for “signature restricted” courses on their own. Depending on the course, students may need to obtain permission of the course instructor, faculty advisor, program director, or IE faculty.
- Lab courses such as BSTA 510, Biostatistics Lab: Forward confirmation of instructor permission to SPHregistration@ohsu.edu to be registered.
- Registration for Field Experience (FE), Practice Experience (PE) or the Integrative Project (IP) requires the approval of the student’s PE Faculty and completion of the appropriate paperwork (Learning Contract, Affiliation Agreement, or IP Proposal) prior to registration. Deadlines for submitting required forms are sent to students each term. More information, and forms, can be found here. Note: students currently in the first term of their PE who plan to continue into the next term will be registered for the following term automatically, and do not need to submit additional paperwork.
- Independent/Directed Study Courses (e.g. “By Arrangement,” “Reading and Conference”) are intended to meet students’ specific learning needs when the desired instructional content is not addressed in an available course. Independent/directed study courses should be planned jointly by the student and the supervising faculty member, and must be approved by the Program Director prior to registration. Students should contact their faculty advisor to discuss their interest in an independent study.
- BSTA 500, EPI 505/605, ESHH 505 Reading and Research/Reading and Conference Courses: Submit a signed Directed Study Request to SPHregistration@ohsu.edu to be registered.
- “By Arrangement” PHE and HSMP courses: contact SPHregistration@ohsu.edu for instructions. Note: By arrangement courses are limited to those supervised by SPH faculty only. Students may not register for by-arrangement coursework with non-SPH faculty.
Textbooks and Course Materials
Required and recommended texts are posted to the SPH website on the graduate Course Directory page.
Students may access materials assigned to courses hosted by OHSU or OHSU online through the OHSU Library, or by purchasing through independent vendors. OHSU does not have a traditional bookstore.
Students may purchase or rent texts assigned to courses hosted by PSU or PSU online through the PSU Bookstore, or by purchasing through independent vendors.