Our Health Promotion and Community Health graduate programs prepare you to drive social change, advance health equity, and remove barriers to community health.
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH) unites two outstanding research universities that have spent decades working to help reduce health disparities and designing innovative solutions to public health challenges.
Our graduate degrees in Health Promotion and Community Health equip you to identify the root causes of health problems and to devise interventions that create healthier communities from local to global levels. You will have opportunities to work with leading experts in the areas of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease (DOHaD), social determinants of health, sexual and reproductive health, food systems and nutrition, physical activity, aging, and other pressing issues.
As a unique partnership between two world-class universities, the OHSU-PSU SPH unites health and scientific expertise with advanced scholarship in governance, public policy, urban studies, social work, and education. We offer a stand-alone Master of Public Health in Health Promotion, as well as dual degrees that pair the Health Promotion MPH with a Master of Social Work (MSW) or Master of Urban Planning (MURP). Our terminal degree in this discipline is a Ph.D. in Community Health.
These programs excel because of their:
- Commitment to equitable, socially just access to health and health-supporting resources for all.
- Holistic approach that is built on collaboration among experts from multiple academic disciplines.
- Emphasis on solving real-world health challenges.
- Partnerships and engagement with a breadth of populations and social groups.
- Deep relationships with state, county, and local agencies; schools; nonprofit organizations; and other community stakeholders.
- Tight-knit culture that fosters supportive relationships among faculty and students.
- Direct access to OHSU’s medical and scientific experts and PSU’s leading scholars in community engagement, public policy, urban affairs, and the social sciences.
Health Promotion Career Opportunities
Graduates of our MPH in Health Promotion are highly qualified to work for government agencies, nonprofits, advocacy organizations, universities, research institutes, and health care organizations. You will acquire direct experience in designing, implementing, and evaluating health promotion programs and initiatives, with the ability to address health issues across the lifespan.
Our MPH in Health Promotion prioritizes community engagement. You will work with a broad range of populations and groups, building skills in effective partnership, meaningful collaboration, and positive social change. The OHSU-PSU SPH’s unique structure provides outstanding opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration, which is one reason our graduates are known for policy and programmatic innovations that synthesize ideas across multiple fields.
Program Requirements & Guide
Please refer to the Program Guide for an overview of program requirements and a current program of study. To see all of the graduate program guides for an overview of degree requirements and a current programs of study, visit the MPH and MS Requirements page.
MPH Program Requirements Guide
Recruitment & Admissions
Core Competencies & Contact Information
MPH Health Promotion - Core Competencies
Students graduating from this track will be able to:
- Apply theory in the development, implementation, and evaluation of health promotion interventions, programs, and policies.
- Develop interventions and programs to effect change at multiple levels, including individual, community, organization, and policy.
- Design and implement strategies to promote health.
- Solicit and integrate input from community and organization stakeholders.
- Design and deliver health communication messages.
- Evaluate and interpret results from program evaluations and other research.
- Define health problems, frame hypotheses, design research procedures, and outline methods of analysis.
- Apply ethical principles that govern the practice of public health promotion.
- Demonstrate cultural competency in health promotion among all social and cultural communities.
APPLY TO THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Take the next steps and apply to our MPH in Health Promotion.
Learn about the application process and requirements for applying to the Masters of Public Health in Health Promotion.Apply Now