With a graduate degree in Health Systems Management and Policy, you can help shape the health care institutions and health systems of the future.
Health Management & Policy
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH) has made a significant impact on the health systems and policies of Oregon, which is a national leader in health care reform. Our graduate degrees in Health Systems Management and Policy build on a decades-long tradition of innovation and groundbreaking research, equipping you for leadership careers in government administration, nonprofit advocacy, research, education, health services delivery, and related fields.
By earning your Health Systems Management and Policy graduate degree at the OHSU-PSU SPH, you will become part of a dynamic culture that fuses the energy of two institutions: a world-class academic health center (OHSU), and a community-engaged research university (PSU) with nationally renowned graduate programs in social work, public administration, urban affairs, and other disciplines. That combination yields creative, interdisciplinary partnerships that give rise to new models for Health Systems Management and Policy. It also allows you to get involved in major research projects and reform initiatives, while interacting with stakeholders from throughout the health system.
We offer an MPH in Health Management and Policy, a Ph.D. in Health Systems and Policy, and a dual MPH/MSW in Health Management and Policy/Social Work.
All three programs excel because of their:
- Collaborative, whole-system orientation that draws on expertise from multiple academic disciplines and community stakeholders.
- Deep community engagement, with an emphasis on solving real-world health system challenges.
- Exceptional faculty who combine academic expertise with high-level achievements in designing, implementing, and evaluating health system reforms.
- Commitment to equitable, socially just health systems that serve all populations.
- Diverse community partnerships with consumer advocates, government administrators, health services practitioners, health system administrators, policy analysts, nonprofit activists, academicians, researchers, and other stakeholders.
- Tight-knit culture that fosters supportive relationships among faculty and students.
- High-profile contributions to health reform at the local, state, and national levels.
- Direct access to OHSU’s medical health and scientific experts, and PSU’s leading scholars in public policy, urban affairs, and the social sciences.
Health Management & Policy Career Opportunities
Our Health Management and Policy MPH program is led by some of the nation’s most creative health services thinkers and reformers. SPH faculty helped assess new models in Medicaid (Oregon’s groundbreaking Coordinated Care Organizations), patient-centered primary care, end-of-life issues, rural health services, and other areas of Health Management and Policy.
You will have opportunities to work on similar innovations in our Health Management and Policy MPH program, developing advanced skills in management, policy, finance, strategy, economics, and ethics. The program integrates classroom theory with applied practice, enabling you to engage in the community, develop collaborative relationships, and make a real-world impact. Graduates of our Health Management and Policy MPH degree have an outstanding record of career achievement, with high-profile leadership jobs in government, academia, the nonprofit sector, the health services industry, insurance, research, and other fields.
Student & Alumni Achievements (AY 19-20 and 20-21)
|Measures||AY 19 - 20||AY 20 - 21||AY 21 - 22||AY 22 - 23|
(3 months post-graduation)
(4-6 months post-graduation)
|Months to Complete Degree (median)||24||22||24||24|
Program Requirements & Guide
Please refer to the Program Guide for an overview of program requirements and a current program of study. To see all of the graduate program guides for an overview of degree requirements and a current programs of study, visit the MPH and MS Requirements page.
Students can complete the program in a dual degree format with the Master of Social Work. Other dual degree options require the approval of directors from both programs. Students must be admitted to both programs.
MPH Program Requirements Guide
Recruitment & Admissions
Core Competencies & Contact Information
MPH in Health Management & Policy - Core Competencies
Students graduating from this track will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication & messaging skills.
- Demonstrate ethical, social & cultural competency in the practice of health management and policy.
- Engage with, & integrate the knowledge & experience of other professions, health system stakeholders, and communities to address health system challenges.
- Demonstrate critical and self-reflective thinking in the practice of health management & policy.
- Apply theory to practice in the design, implementation, management, and evaluation of processes to improve organizational performance.
- Apply policy process knowledge and advocacy techniques to support the development & implementation of policies that advance health.
- Select & apply appropriate theories & qualitative & quantitative methods to analyze, evaluate, & manage health system programs and services.
- Demonstrate professional, collaborative, and ethical leadership skills to address health system management and policy issues.
APPLY TO THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Take the next steps and apply to our MPH in Health Management & Policy program.
Learn about the application process and requirements for applying to the Masters of Public Health in Health Management & Policy.Apply Now
Accreditations & Rankings
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The MPH in Health Management and Policy is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Health Management Education (CAHME).