Equipping you with the statistical knowledge and skills for biomedical research and public health
Masters of Science in Biostatistics
The MS in Biostatistics equips you with knowledge in applied statistical methods and theory of biostatistics, as well as skills in traditional statistical methods and computational biology, statistical learning, data science programming, and computation for big data. The program prepares you to pursue a career as an intermediate-level biostatistician or for doctoral programs in Biostatistics. Our students come from very diverse backgrounds such as mathematics and statistics, chemistry, biology, medicine, economics, and psychology.
Our Biostatistics MS degree qualifies you for jobs in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors. Our graduates have been employed by local, state and federal public health agencies, health and medical centers, pharmaceutical companies, device manufacturers, and research institutions. If you choose to continue to doctoral studies, our Biostatistics Masters degree provides you with first-rate preparation and a highly competitive CV.
With a unique structure that combines the resources of two pioneering research universities, the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH) has helped Oregon gain national recognition for creative public health solutions. We are deeply engaged in collaborative research and have a strong commitment to interdisciplinary partnerships. You will enjoy rich opportunities to collaborate with clinical researchers, scientific investigators, educators, and public health professionals.
Our biostatistics faculty have a wide range of expertise and research interests such as Bayesian statistics, big and high dimensional data, electronic health records data, machine learning, statistical computing, statistical genetics, bioinformatics, observational studies, clinical trials, and community intervention trials, with extensive applications to biomedical and public health research.
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health’s graduate programs in Biostatistics enable you to learn Biostatistics skills in a highly collaborative environment. They prepare you for a career in biomedical and public health research, industry, or doctoral programs, with skills directly applicable to practice.
Choose one of our Biostatistics graduate programs if you seek:
- Broad application of Biostatistics to biomedical research, public health, bioinformatics, pharmaceuticals, and related subjects.
- Renowned faculty with diverse expertise, research interests, and collaborative experience.
- Personal attention from faculty and professional collaborators.
- Didactic sessions and hands-on experience focusing on both statistical methods and the interpretation and communication of results.
- Internship opportunities from two Biostatistics shared resources: the Biostatistics & Design Program, one of the OHSU shared resource cores, and Knight Cancer Institute Biostatistics Shared Resources.
- Exceptional rates of job placement and graduate-school admissions.
- Opportunities to make an impact at the societal level.
Accreditation and Rankings
The OHSU-PSU School of Public Health is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Program Requirements & Guide
To see all of the graduate program guides for an overview of degree requirements and a current programs of study, visit the MPH and MS Requirements page.
MS Program Requirements Guide
Recruitment & Admissions
Core Competencies & Contact Information
MS in Biostatistics - Core Competencies
Students graduating from our program will be able to:
- Apply intermediate to advanced biostatistical theory and techniques to design, plan, and manage data collection to conduct analysis for own research projects or support collaborative research teams
- Translate broad research goals into specifications and procedures for statistical analysis and interpretation of results in basic, clinical, translational and public health research studies
- Select and use appropriate statistical analysis software for assessment, decision-making and information-sharing (e.g., Stata, SAS, R or other special programs)
- Communicate statistical methods and findings clearly and unambiguously to specialists and non-specialist audiences
APPLY TO THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Take the next steps and apply to our Masters of Science in Biostatistics program.
Learn about the application process and requirements for applying to the MS in Biostatistics.Apply Now