Brian Gibbs MPA, PhDAssociate Professor Community Health
Dr. Brian Gibbs has a faculty appointment in the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health as an Associate Professor in the graduate level Community Health programs.
In addition to his commitments to the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH), Dr. Gibbs serves as Vice President for Equity and Inclusion and chief diversity officer at OHSU, responsible for diversity initiatives within OHSU’s clinical, educational, and research missions.
Before coming to OHSU, Gibbs was associate vice chancellor for diversity for the University of New Mexico Health Science campus. Prior to that, he served as associate dean for diversity and cultural competence at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Early in his career, he spent ten years as the founder and director of the Program to Eliminate Health Disparities at the Harvard School of Public Health, where he was a senior research scientist within the Department of Health Policy and Management.
B.S., Eastern Michigan University, 1981
M.P.A., California State University, Dominguez Hills, 1985
Ph.D., Brandeis University, 1995
Awards and Honors
Pew Health Policy Fellow, Brandeis University, 1991
- A Novel Measure of “Good” Mentoring: Testing Its Reliability and Validity in Four Academic Health Centers. Pololi LH, Evans AT, Civian JT, Gibbs BK, Gillum LH, Brennan RT. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2016 Fall;36(4):263-268. doi: 10.1097/CEH.0000000000000114.
- Faculty Vitality-Surviving the Challenges Facing Academic Health Centers: A National Survey of Medical Faculty. Pololi LH, Evans AT, Civian JT, Gibbs BK, Coplit LD, Gillum LH, Brennan RT. Acad Med. 2015 Jul;90(7):930-6. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000674
- Definition, measurement, and health risks associated with sedentary behavior. Gibbs BB, Hergenroeder AL, Katzmarzyk PT, Lee IM, Jakicic JM. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015 Jun;47(6):1295-300. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000517.
- Reducing racial and ethnic health disparities: exploring an outcome-oriented agenda for research and policy. Gibbs BK, Nsiah-Jefferson L, McHugh MD, Trivedi AN, Prothrow-Stith D. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2006 Feb;31(1):185-218
- Creating a state minority health policy report card. Trivedi AN, Gibbs B, Nsiah-Jefferson L, Ayanian JZ, Prothrow-Stith D. Health Aff (Millwood). 2005 Mar-Apr;24(2):388-96.
- Reducing health disparities: from theory to practice. Prothrow-Stith D, Gibbs B, Allen A. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Mar;12(3):256s-260s. No abstract available. PMID: 12646523