Elena AndresenProfessor Emerita Epidemiology
Dr. Elena Andresen has a faculty appointment in the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health as a Professor in the Epidemiology programs. In this role, her work includes mentoring faculty, providing student field experience sites, and collaborating with faculty on scholarly products.
Dr. Andresen was appointed interim provost for OHSU on October 1, 2016, and appointed Executive Vice President and Provost on June 1, 2017. She previously served as interim dean of the School of Public Health, from May 2014 to September 2016, and continues as professor of epidemiology at the School of Public Health. Andresen was the Director and PI of the CDC-funded Oregon Office on Disability and Health at OHSU from January 2016 through December 2018. The office has a long history at OHSU of working on behalf of Oregonians with disability and their families.
Dr. Andresen joined OHSU in 2011 after serving as professor and the founding chair of the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics at the University of Florida College of Public Health and Health Professions. She is an experienced epidemiologist who received additional training in health services research. Her recent work has focused on aging and the public health outcomes of disability across the lifespan, along with methods and measures for health services outcomes research. Dr. Andresen has taught numerous undergraduate and graduate public health (primarily epidemiology) courses, and she currently teaches in the OHSU Interprofessional Initiative Foundations course for health professions students.
B.A., University of Washington, 1977, Interdisciplinary
M.A., University of Washington, 1979 History
Ph.D., University of Washington, 1991 Epidemiology
Awards and Honors
- 2011, Allan Meyers Award, American Public Health Association Disability Section
- 2010, Member Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health (Beta Upsilon Chapter)
- 2007, Fellow of the American College of Epidemiology
- 2000, Honorary Member, Pi Theta Epsilon, OT Honor Society (Beta Gamma Chapter)
- 1995, Alumni Award for Excellence in Graduate Education, University of Rochester
- 1990, Student Workshop, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- 1989 Secretary’s Prize for Innovations in Health Promotion & Disease Prevention, DHHS
- 1988, Matrix Table Award for Campus Achievement, Women in Communications, Inc.