Paula Carder is an associate professor with the School of Public Health and a researcher with PSU Institute on Aging.
Her research focuses on socio-cultural aspects of housing and long-term care for older persons and adults with disabilities. Her research also explores the relationship between state regulatory requirements and daily practices associated with medication administration and staffing in assisted living and dementia care facilities. She conducts a state-wide survey of assisted living, memory care,and adult foster homes for the Oregon Department of Human Services. She also was the lead evaluator of a recent Oregon Health Authority-sponsored program to coordinate health and housing services for low-income residents of 11 publicly-subsidized apartment buildings.
Carder also has mentored students in the BUILD EXITO program, an undergraduate research training program at PSU that supports students on their pathway to become scientific researchers.
B.S., West Virginia University, 1987
M.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1990
Ph.D., Portland State University, 1999
Awards and Honors
- 2014, Best Research Paper, Seniors Housing and Care Journal
- 2013, Anselm Strauss Award, Honorable Mention, Qualitative Health Research
- 2014, Visiting International Fellow in Research Methods, University of Surrey, Guildford, England
- 2013, Fellow, Gerontological Society of America
- Oregon Department of Human Services, 2016-18 Oregon Community-Based Care Survey, Role: Principal Investigator
- CareOregon, 2016-18 Evaluation, LiveWell Care Homes Role: Principal Investigator
- Oregon Health Authority, 2014-16 Evaluation, Housing with Services demonstration, Role: Principal Investigator
- Oregon Department of Human Services, 2014-16 Oregon Community-Based Care Survey, Role: Principal Investigator
- OHSU/NIDA, 2013 HEARTH, community-based participatory research with Central City Concern, Role: Investigator
- Cedar Sinai Park/Enterprise Foundation, 2012 Community Needs Assessment, Role: Principal Investigator
- Northwest Health Foundation, 2012 Staffing Needs for Housing with Services, Role: Principal Investigator
- Portland Housing Authority, 2011-12 Strategies to Support Aging in Place, Role: Principal Investigator