Dr. Todd Korthuis has a secondary faculty appointment in the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health as a Professor in the Epidemiology programs. In this role his work includes mentoring students and collaborating on research with primary faculty.
In addition to his work in the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH), he serves as Program Director for the OHSU Addiction Medicine Fellowship and Co-Director of the Oregon Addiction Education and Prevention Initiative that provides training and support for rural primary care providers in pharmacotherapy for substance use disorders.
Dr. Korthuis is a general internist, addiction medicine specialist, and clinician scientist. He completed a health services research fellowship and MPH at University of California Los Angeles and began his clinical career treating patients living with HIV and became board-certified in addiction medicine in 2010. His research focuses on improving integration of addiction treatment in diverse health care settings, including primary care, HIV clinic, and rural settings.
M.P.H., University of California Los Angeles, 2002
M.D., University of Health Science/Chicago Medical School, 1991
B.S., Azusa Pacific University, 1986
Awards and Honors
2012-2013, Fulbright Scholar award to study integration of HIV and addiction care in Vietnam
2008, Lawrence S. Linn Award for research that improves the lives of people living with HIV
- PI for four multi-site, NIH-funded opioid use disorder trials:
- CTN-0067 CHOICES trial of extended-release naltrexone in North American HIV clinics
- BRAVO trial of buprenorphine for opioid use disorder in Vietnam HIV clinics
- Oregon HOPE study to improve engagement in opioid use disorder treatment in rural Oregon counties
- PROUD-R2 trial to support retention in people with opioid use disorder in rural Oregon, Ohio, and Kentucky
- Co-PI for the Western States Node of the National Institute of Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network that conducts clinical trials of opioid, methamphetamine, and cocaine use disorders
- Served as national lead investigator for CTN-0055 and CTN-0067
¹ CEPH Primary Instructional Faculty
² CEPH Non-Primary Instructional Faculty