Skip to Main Content

Health and Wellness Resources for Graduate Students

Student Health and Dental Insurance

All SPH students, students in the Graduate Certificate in Public Health program excepted, are required to carry health insurance. PSU registrants will be enrolled in PSU’s Student Health Insurance Plan. OHSU registrants will be enrollled in OHSU’s Student Health Insurance Plan. OHSU registrants also must carry dental insurance.

Students with equivalent insurance coverage may submit an insurance waiver application. Information and deadlines can be found at the OHSU Student Health & Wellness Center website and PSU’s Center for Student Health and Counseling webpage.

Student Health Services

Student health services are offered through clinics at both OHSU and PSU. Students may use student health services regardless of whether they are insured by student health insurance or another insurer.

School of Public Health students whose enrollment services are managed by PSU are entitled to receive student health services through PSU’s Center for Student Health & Counseling (SHAC). School of Public Health students whose enrollment services are managed by OHSU must choose whether to receive services at OHSU’s Student Health & Wellness Center (SHW) or PSU’s Center for Student Health & Counseling (SHAC).  Students in this group who do not select a health services provider will default to SHW. This election can only be made once a year, and remains in effect fall through summer terms. Students should carefully review the services each clinic offers by visiting the SHW and SHAC webpages, and make their selection following instructions sent by SPH staff.

Health Services Selection form  (open June – September)


OHSU Student Health and Wellness

OHSU’s Student Health and Wellness Center (SHW) is dedicated to providing exceptional and confidential primary care, behavioral health, integrative medicine and wellness services to support the health and well-being of students.

Services Offered

  • Primary Care Office visits have no out-of-pocket charge and are not subject to co-pays and deductibles (some exceptions apply, and medications or other services may be subject to your insurance benefits).  Same or next day appointments are often available.
  • Behavioral Health Counseling, medication management, couples counseling, group treatment, and crisis support are available.
  • Integrative Medicine 100% covered or subsidized acupuncture, depending on your insurance, as well as massage services (students also qualify for one free massage!).
  • Wellness Programs Free wellness events are available to build tools to manage stress, improve sleep, and promote overall well-being.  Refuel @ Noon is a weekly drop-in wellness series that alternates between Marquam Hill and South Waterfront locations.

Contact Information

Baird Hall, Rm. 18 (Primary Care)
and Rm. 6 (Counseling and Wellness Services)
Phone: 503-494-8665


Mon: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tue: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Wed: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thu: 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Fri: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.

PSU Student Health and Counseling (SHAC)

PSU’s Center for Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) is a community-based health care organization that provides high quality, accessible mental health, physical health, dental services, and wellness programming targeted to the needs of the PSU student population.

Services Offered

Contact Info

1880 SW 6th Ave
University Center Building
Portland, OR 97201
Phone: 503.725.2800


Mon-Thu: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Fri: 9:30am – 5:00pm

PSU CARE Program

The PSU CARE program connects students with resources when they are experiencing distress. All currently enrolled and recently enrolled PSU students, as well as parents and families, and faculty, staff, and advisors are welcome to connect with CARE and request assistance on behalf of students. In addition to responding to crises, CARE helps support students before problems arise or issues become more complicated. Issues CARE can help address include but are not limited to

  • Suicidal ideation or attempts
  • Activities or events that may impact the campus and/or surrounding community
  • Activities or events that may impact a student’s ability to stay in school
  • Medical emergencies and communicating with faculty
  • Food and/or housing insecurity
  • Mental health challenges

For more info, visit PSU’s CARE website.
To connect with CARE or schedule an appointment, contact or call 503-725-4422.

If you need an immediate 24/7 response, call 503-725-4404 (Campus Public Safety Office) and/or 911.

If you have a concern that does not require immediate attention, submit a CARE Referral and the team will follow up with you within two business days. Note: If you submit a referral outside business hours of M-F, 8am.-5pm. or during a university observed holiday, it will be reviewed within the following two business days.

Student Recreation Centers

SPH graduate students have access to recreation centers and fitness facilities at both OHSU and PSU.


OHSU South Waterfront Campus. Valid OHSU ID required.

March Wellness and Fitness Center


PSU Urban Center. Valid PSU ID required.

Academic and Student Recreation Center

Student Nutrition

OHSU Student Health & Wellness Food Resources

OHSU’s Center for Student Health and Wellness works on issues of campus food insecurity and has resources to help students obtain free or low-cost nutritious food. 

SHW Guide to Student Food Resources

PSU’s Committee for Improving Student Food Security (CISFS)

CISFS seeks to improve students’ access to affordable, nutritious, culturally relevant food.  The committee maintains a list of on- and off-campus food resources.

CISFS Guide to Student Food Resources