Experienced Faculty With Diverse Backgrounds
More than 150 faculty members work within the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health. They have a wide range of expertise, from monitoring and assessing health risks and opportunities in populations, to helping build health-supporting social environments through policy, advocacy, and programs. They are educators, advisors, researchers, practitioners and community leaders. They come from backgrounds in quantitative, behavioral, environmental and social sciences, policy and government, exercise and health sciences and anthropology, among many other areas. They all work in collaboration with each other and with community partners, and are especially focused on the training and education of future leaders and practitioners in the public health fields.
Dr. John McConnell has a secondary faculty appointment in the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health as a Professor in the graduate level Health Management & Policy and Health Systems & Policy programs. In this role, his work includes mentoring students and collaborating on research with primary faculty.
In addition to his work in the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health (SPH), Dr. McConnell also has a faculty appointment in the OHSU School of Medicine’s Department of Emergency Medicine. His work has focused on Medicaid and state policy, behavioral health services, and efforts to improve the quality of care. He directs the Center for Health Systems Effectiveness (CHSE), an OHSU policy center focused on Medicaid payment and delivery system reform. CHSE is currently active studying changes in Medicaid policy and their impacts on overall spending and quality, as well the effect of specific interventions designed to coordinate care, improve prenatal and maternal health, substance use treatment, and the use of evidence-based protocols to reduce opioid prescribing.
Ph.D., Stanford University, 2001
M.S., Stanford University, 1997
M.A., University of Washington, 1993
B.A., Stanford University, 1990
- Dr. McConnell has published more than 100 peer-reviewed articles in the leading clinical journals (New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, JAMA Internal Medicine), health services and policy journals (Health Affairs, Health Services Research, Medical Care, Health Economics), and specialty journals (American Journal of Psychiatry, Addiction, Annals of Emergency Medicine).
- National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities 1R01MD011212 Assessing the Potential for a State Medicaid Reform Model to Reduce Disparities PI: K. John McConnell Dates: 8/9/2016– 4/30/2020
- National Institute of Mental Health 1R01MH1000001 Evaluating Coordinated Care Organizations PIs: K. John McConnell/Richard C. Lindrooth Dates: 9/7/2012– 7/31/2016
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality 1R01HS018466 Management Practices in U.S. Hospitals PI: K. John McConnell Dates: 9/30/2009– 3/31/2013
- National Institute on Drug Abuse 1R01DA024024 Oregon’s Parity Law: Comprehensive Parity in Today’s Healthcare Environment PI: K. John McConnell Dates: 9/28/2007– 8/31/2010
¹ CEPH Primary Instructional Faculty
² CEPH Non-Primary Instructional Faculty
Have Questions About Our Faculty?
Contact us to learn more about our expert faculty and their experience in improving public health in the community.