The OHSU-PSU collaborative School of Public Health is an innovative structure, in which we bring the best of two universities to you. Our design is a product of our innovative spirit and values: we bring that approach to you, working to chart your path into clinical, educational, policy, and direct-service health careers.
In the BA/BS in Applied Health and Fitness you will explore and apply the most current research and science in the field of exercise, physical activity, and health. With three specialized focus areas (Fitness and Exercise, Health Coaching, and Fitness for Special Populations), we provide you with a core foundation in public health and specialized skills in exercise science that positions you to excel in the career path you seek.
• Tailored, individualized advising and mentorship
• Expert faculty with extensive research and real-world experience
• Innovative curricula – we bring the community to you through guest speakers, applied learning activities and a focus on current issues – all focusing on developing solutions to real-world problems
• Experiential learning -we bring you to the community through a mentored internship
• Faculty and career development opportunities from both universities
Our alumni build careers in the fitness industry, corporate wellness, and in recreation facilities, as well as in health coaching. They are also well prepared to enter into graduate teacher education programs to earn licensure to teach physical education in a school setting.
With a bachelor degree in Applied Health and Fitness, alumni have found work in community- based organizations and facilities, schools, and health and rehabilitative settings, including as:
Health and Wellness Coach
Health and wellness program manager
Fitness Center Manager
Weight loss coach
Physical Education teacher
Health promotion specialist
Health promotion program coordinator
Occupational Therapy Assistant
Physical Therapy Assistant