Dongseok Choi is a data scientist who led the creation of two new biostatistics graduate programs that are now part of the School of Public Health – the Master of Science in Biostatistics and the Graduate Certificate in Biostatistics. He served as the co-director of both programs from 2010 to 2015.
His current research interests are developing semi-supervised learning and “bump hunting” algorithms for big data, statistical methods for next generation sequencing data, and hierarchical generalized mixed-effects models by h-likelihood. He is a sought-after collaborative scientist working on the interdisciplinary and translational research in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and inflammation diseases.
Choi founded the Korean International Statistical Society in 2011 and was the founding president. He was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association in 2012 and became an elected member of the International Statistical Institute in 2013. In 2016, he was nominated to serve in the American Statistical Association Fellows Committee that selects new fellows of the association.
B.S., Seoul National University, 1988
Ph.D., The University of Chicago, 1999
Awards and Honors
- 2013, elected member, the International Statistical Institute
- 2012, Fellow, The American Statistical Association (Elected)
- 2003 Travel award for National Bureau of Economic Research/National Science Foundation Time Series conference
- 1997, Young Professional, The Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development
- 1988, Magna cum laude, Seoul National University
- P30EY010572-20 (Morrison) 7/01/2015 – 6/300/2020 NIH/NEI Ophthalmology Core Facility, Role: Co-Investigator
- 5R01EY010145-16 (Morrison) 4/1/2013 – 3/31/2018 NIH/NEI Studies in Glaucomatous Optic Nerve Damage, Role: Co-Investigaator
- 1R15DE024317-01 (Machida) 09/15/2014 – 08/31/2017 NIH/NIDCR Dominant Mutans Streptococci Genetic Strains in Caries Active Children, Role: Co-Investigator
- R01 DC011034 (Barr-Gillespie) 7/1/2015 – 6/30/2020 NIH/NIDCD Hair Bundle Structure and Dynamics, Role: Co-Investigator
- R01 DC014427(Barr-Gillespie & Müller, MPI) 12/01/15 – 11/30/20 NIH/NICDC Functions of Myosin VII in Mechanosensory Hair Cells, Role: Co-Investigator
- R24 EY022023 (Hauswirth/Weleber) 6/01/2013 – 5/31/2018 NIH/NEI rAAV-CNGB3 Gene Therapy for Achromatopsia: Translational Research Studies, Role: Co-Investigator
- 2R01EY020249-05 (Rosenbaum) 9/1/2016 – 8/31/2021 NIH/NEI Gene Expression in Nonspecific Orbital Inflammatory Disease, Role: Co-Investigator