Dr. Elizabeth Needham Waddell is an assistant professor in the School of Public Health and directs the online M.P.H. in Primary Health Care & Health Disparities, the M.P.H. in Public Health Practice, and the Graduate Certificate in Public Health programs.
Dr. Waddell’s research explores the intersection between social determinants of health, access to medical care and community-engaged development of health policy. Her portfolio includes projects aimed at understanding barriers and facilitators to implementation of innovative policies and standards into patient care, including medical home and integrated primary care and behavioral health.
Prior to joining the School of Public Health, she served as director of Health Disparities Research at the Oregon Rural Practice-based Research Network at OHSU, and as a research scientist and unit director at the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene.
B.A., Unviersity of Pennsylvania, 1995
M.A., Columbia University, 1998
Ph.D., Columbia University, 2003
Awards and Honors
- 2016, Finalist, OHSU Faculty Senate Award
- 2004-2009, National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Fellowship, Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- 2001-2003, Graduate Fellow, Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy, Columbia University
- 1995, Urban Studies Award for Commitment to Social Justice in the City, University of Pennsylvania
- Reducing Risk of Overdose after Release from Incarceration (ROAR) (PI: Waddell). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2018-2021.
- Integrating Behavioral Health into Primary Care (PI: Littenberg/Kessler). Patient Centered Research Outcomes Institute (PCORI), 03/01/16-02/28/20, Role: Cluster Site PI.
- Western States Node of the National Drug Abuse Treatment Clinical Trials Network (PI: Sorenson/McCarty), National Institute on Drug Abuse, 09/01/15-08/01/20, Role: Co-I.
- Behavioral Health Home Learning Collaborative (PI: Waddell). Oregon Health Authority, 06/01/14-12/31/16.
- Sociomedical Analysis of Chronic Disease and Tobacco Control Initiatives (PI: Thihalolipavan). New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, 03/01/15-06/30/18, Role: Co-Investigator.
- Eastern Oregon Care Coordination Project (PI: Wadell). Moda Health/Oregon Employee Benefits Board, 03/01/15-06/30/16, Role: PI.
- Transforming Outcomes for Patients through Medical home Evaluation & Redesign (PI: Dorr). The Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, 06/01/14-11/30/15, Role: CSU.
- Comprehensive Primary Care Initiative Regional Learning Communities Practice Support (PI: Medcalf/Dorr). TMF Health Quality Institute, 06/01/14-06/30/15, Role: Faculty.
- Patient-Centered Primary Care Home (PCPCH) Basics Learning Collaborative (PI: Waddell). Oregon Health Care Quality Corporation, 09/01/14-06/01/15.
- Columbia Gorge Coordinated Care Organization (CCO) Integrated Behavioral Health and Primary Care Project (PI: Davis and Miller). PacificSource Community Solutions, 06/01/14-05/31/15, Role: Study Director.
- OHSU Faculty Profile