Experienced Faculty With Diverse Backgrounds
More than 150 faculty members work within the OHSU-PSU School of Public Health. They have a wide range of expertise, from monitoring and assessing health risks and opportunities in populations, to helping build health-supporting social environments through policy, advocacy, and programs. They are educators, advisors, researchers, practitioners and community leaders. They come from backgrounds in quantitative, behavioral, environmental and social sciences, policy and government, exercise and health sciences and anthropology, among many other areas. They all work in collaboration with each other and with community partners, and are especially focused on the training and education of future leaders and practitioners in the public health fields.
Janne Boone-Heinonen is an associate professor of epidemiology for the School of Public Health’s M.P.H. in Epidemiology.
Boone-Heinonen’s research is dedicated to understanding environmental and behavioral approaches to mitigating the trans-generational cycle of obesity, which blends two major research areas. First, she has done significant research on multi-level influences on obesity in adolescence through middle adulthood. Second, she has ongoing research on early life determinants of obesity.
Her research topics and projects explore: the extent to which healthy diet and physical activity can mitigate the life-long effects of adverse fetal development; the differences in early life growth across racial, ethnic and socioeconomic subgroups; and environmental predictors of health in mothers and infants.
B.S., Santa Clara University, 1997
M.P.H., Oregon Health & Science University, 2003
Ph.D., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2009
Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2011
Awards and Honors
- 2019, OHSU-PSU School of Public Health Award for Excellence in Teaching & Mentorship
- 2017, OHSU-PSU School of Public Health Faculty Marshal for OHSU Convocation
- K01-DK1022857 (Boone-Heinonen) | /30/2015-9/29/2018 NIH/NIDDK The dynamics of transgenerational obesity: simulating systems solutions, Role: Principal Investigator
- CDRN-1306-04716 (DeVoe) | 1/1/2014 – 9/29/2020 PCORI Accelerating Data Value Across a National Community Health Center Network (ADVANCE) Clinical Data Research Network (CDRN) Phase I and II, Role: Co-Investigator
- OBS-1505-30699 (Gillman) | 02/01/2016- 3/31/2018 PCORI PCORnet Obesity Observational Study, Role: Site PI
- K12-HD043488 (Dorsa DM, Guise JM) | 10/1/2012 – 9/29/2015 NIH/NICHD Oregon Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health (BIRCWH), Role: Career development scholar
¹ CEPH Primary Instructional Faculty
² CEPH Non-Primary Instructional Faculty
Have Questions About Our Faculty?
Contact us to learn more about our expert faculty and their experience in improving public health in the community.